In todays episode I talk to one of the leading experts within the field of Vitamin D. Michael F. Holick is an American endocrinologist, specializing in the field of vitamin D, such as the identification of both calcidiol, the major circulating form of vitamin D, and calcitriol, the active form of vitamin D. His work has been the basis for diagnostic tests and therapies for vitamin D-related diseases. He is a professor of medicine at the Boston University Medical Center and editor-in-chief of the journal Clinical Laboratory.
Holick made discoveries in the field of vitamin D that have led to novel therapies for metabolic bone diseases, hypocalcemic disorders, and psoriasis. He is author of more than 400 publications about the biochemistry, physiology, metabolism and photobiology of vitamin D and the pathophysiology of vitamin D deficiency. He is also the author of the book The Vitamin D solution . He has also been involved with an incredible app about how much you need to be in the sun. It uses GPS and lightsensors and you can find the app her.
In todays episode we talk about the following:
- What is vitamin D
- Is it possible to reduce the risk of the flu by as much as 42%
- Vitamin D controls over 200 genes in the cardiovascular system
- Reduce the risk of heart attack by 50%
- Lack of Vitamin D causes higher blood pressure
- Why people who live in Norway have 10-15x greater likelihood of diabetes
- How much vitamin D your body needs every single day
- What are the symptoms of too little D vitamin
- What diseases can you get because of little vitamin D
- How long do you have to be in the sun to limit the likelihood of high blood pressure and illnesses.
- Do you live in Norway, your body does NOT produce vitamin D 6mth of the year.
- Are you born in the winter you have a higher risk of Schizophrenia later in life.
- Higher vitamin D values educe the risk of caesarean section by 200 to 300%
- How high values hould you have while you are pregnant
- How much D Vitamin should have small children every day
- Why your skin turns red when you're in the sun? Use of sunscreen
- The most dangerous form of skin cancer occurs when you do not get sun.
Listen to Today's episode by selecting below
Norwegian listeners: Itunes
International listeners: Itunes